The Subaru STI has a high demand on its braking system due to the higher center of gravity of the chassis as well as its longer pedal stroke (Pedal Ratio) and the chassis balance which causes the front brakes to handle the bulk of the braking. Brembo performance and specific race systems are designed and engineered specific to each chassis to take into consideraton the chassis characteristics and needs.
This Brembo Club Race System for the Subaru WRX STI was designed specifically to clear most 17″ wheels. The system was designed to meet true motorsports applications. Understanding each chassis along with the team, driver, and racing the ability to focus the system more specific to race conditions vs the OEM system which is designed around street driving with the occasional track day.
Advantage of the Brembo Racind Disc Range:
- Stock disc size of the OE WRX STI is 325×30 and most aftermarket systems that clear smaller wheels compromise in thermal capacity. Brembo offers a 328x35mm or 350x34mm Type V or Type II face disc. These disc have a huge jump in thermal capacity and has a thermal mass closer to that used by professional GT teams around the world.
- Disc Casting/Vane Count: Brembo is one of the only companies which controls the engineering, design and manufacturing process of components and brake systems from start to finish. (most companies outsource and rebrand from common factories that supply brake components). The 328×35 mm disc features a large 19mm air gap (usual 10-14mm) and 72 vane count which maximizes the cooling surface area of the disk while keeping the outer diameter (OD) of the disc on the smaller side to assist wheel clearance. The brembo vane design is leaps and bounds above the OE disc and other advertised racing brands.
Pad Area/Disc Surface Area: Stock Subaru WRX STI 4 piston pads use a large annulus (radial depth from outer to inner diameter of the disc) for maximum pad surface area. For this heavy dusty STI motorsport package, Brembo engineered it with an extremely high thermal brake disc which is 35mm thich and has a 64mm annulus to provide a high thermal capacity leading to lower disc temperatures and significant improvements in the pad and disc life.
The advantage of the Brembo Racing Caliper Range: Brembo develops vehicle specific performance and racing brake packages designed specifically for the chassis they are supplied for. All Brembo race systems include all the chassis specific components to be a direct and complete bolt on without and vehicle modifications.
- Brembo 4-piston caliper range: Brembo Racing calipers are specifically chosen for the intended applications and environments they are used for. The 4-piston Brembo Racing caliper used specifically for many of the more affordable or track day race systems can accept a 328 > 355 mm diameter disc range with either a 32 or 34 mm disc thickness. The caliper is also available in many various piston size configurations so the pistons can be sized specifically for proper brake balance. As generally production based cars have much higher weights, horsepower levels, and are more “open” in terms of setup versus dedicated race cars, a proper caliper is specified to meet the demands. This extended range gives Brembo the ability to tailor the brake system (caliper, brake discs, and pads) specifically to the chassis whether for motorsports or track day use.
- Piston Size: Brembo engineers racing systems specific to the chassis and the application keeping the growing demands of the user in mind. The Subaru WRX STi OE caliper and the caliper used with this race system use 40 / 44 mm pistons. The effective brake torque required by the STi is closer to 40 / 44 because the chassis does most of the braking in the front. Brembo race systems generally keep the brake balance close to what the requirements of the chassis are, as altering or moving the brake balance significantly can detrimentally affect the chassis dynamics on the street or race track.
- Brake Feel & Control: Brembo calipers offer superior braking feel and control compared to other calipers on the market. This comes from the many years of experience engineering and manufacturing motorsport calipers, including pistons, and piston seal grooves which heavily influence brake feel which is critical at the highest levels of professional motorsports. This is also one key reason why Brembo is used prominently throughout all forms of motorsports.
- Heat Rejection: Brembo motorsport specific calipers (including the Brembo Performance GT-R caliper range) use either solid or ventilated stainless steel piston inserts for effective heat rejection. This helps protect the brake fluid and caliper seals from heat allowing greater braking stability in extreme duty or motorsport applications. Depending on the application and caliper design, the piston or piston insert material and design can be specified accordingly.
- Knock back: brake pedal knock back is generally not a function of the brakes and more of flex in the upright, hub or knuckle assembly. However, symptoms of knock back (pedal travel requiring the driver to double-tap the pedal prior to the brake zone) are generally felt in the brakes leading to a lack of confidence from the driver. Brembo can work closely with the customer (or team) to trouble shoot and remedy knock back like symptoms in ways which are specific to the application. Some of the ways knock back can be remedied are through: specific piston sizes, adjustment of float in the disc to hat assembly or occasionally through knock back springs if the piston design can accept the springs. Contrary to popular belief, there is no one “magic bullet” solution or component which can cure knock back without other technical drawbacks.
- This is why it is important to understand the customer’s requirements, and work closely to address their technical needs.
- Swing Bridge: Brembo calipers are specified with swing or integral (fixed) bridges depending on the intended environment and chassis. Brembo’s swing bridge design requires no tools to open up the caliper to change brake pads. When a chassis or category of racing requires a fixed integral bridge, a specific caliper can be supplied to meet those demands.
- Overall Pad Thickness: The Brembo OE WRX STi calipers use a standard 15 mm pad, and Brembo Performance calipers can accept up to an 18 mm pad depending on the exact caliper spec. With Brembo Racing calipers, they can usually accept a 20, 25, or 29 mm pad depending on the exact caliper specification. This can be quite a significant gain because thicker pads not only dramatically improves overall pad wear rates, but it also helps with overall pedal consistency (pads also function as a barrier against heat transfer to the pistons from the braking surfaces).
The Brembo Club Racing System
Purpose designed for dedicated track and racing use. Designed specifically for the Subaru STI showcasing Brembo’s prestigious motorsports prowess. This system is engineered with the cars balance and brake bias in mind working with the factory master cylinder, ABS and traction control systems. This system is a front caliper only. This system offers the pinnacle of Brembo’s race technology; this is the closest product package there is to what championship race teams use to win. The CLUB RACE system provides the benefits of a true racing brake system with the durability and low maintenance of a street braking system.
– Engineered specific for the Subaru STI to integrate with the factory ABS and master cylinder or twin master cylinder for optimum brake balance.
– Lightweight Cast 4-Piston Race Club Race Caliper design with quick release Spring Clip Pad Retention for rapid pad changes.
– Stainless steel piston inserts provide heat rejection to reduce fluid temperatures and brake fade.
– Includes caliper temperature tape to monitor maximum temperatures and predict service life.
– Clear hard anodized finish for track and race environments to improve wear and corrosion resistance.
– Advanced carbon alloy lightweight 2-piece racing disc assemblies reduce “unsprung” weight for improved vehicle dynamics.
– Type 5 Endurance rotor
– 72 Vane for high thermal capacity and heat dissipation
– Innovative Brembo floating anti-rattle hardware design prevents heat related stress, eliminates noise, and extends component life.
– Goodridge Braided Stainless Steel Lines
– Mounting Adapter Brackets & Hardware.
– A wide range of friction material for all environments.
Within Brembo’s catalog this system has a wide option of friction compounds to accommodate your preferences and demands.
A choice of different rotor types, including drilling, slotting, air gap, annulus, weight and others factors.
Brembo “floating” anti-rattle rotor hardware developed by Brembo for the McLaren F1 road car
Brembo billet brackets with aircraft quality hardware
CLUB RACE calipers do not have the traditional dust seals of the GT/GTR calipers. They have an inner pressure seal with a stainless steel insert.
CLUB RACE calipers are not painted. They are hard clear anodized only.
The kits include: – NEW cast racing caliper with hard-anodized finish to improve resistance to thermal and mechanical stresses typical in the racing world. During the design stage, particular attention was paid to obtaining the best ratio of stiffness and weight reduction using special machining techniques. – Brembo thermo tape on the caliper; – type-3 groove assembled floating discs (355mm) with high thermal capacity and heat dissipation; – caliper brackets; steel braided brake lines.
Lightweight Cast 4-Piston Race Club Race Caliper design with quick release Spring Clip Pad Retention for rapid pad changes.
Stainless steel piston inserts provide heat rejection to reduce fluid temperatures and brake fade.
Includes caliper temperature tape to monitor maximum temperatures and predict service life.
Clear hard anodized finish for track and race environments to improve wear and corrosion resistance.
Advanced carbon alloy lightweight 2-piece racing disc assemblies reduce “unsprung” weight for improved vehicle dynamics.
Type 5 Slot Pattern for better initial bite and pad release.
72 Vane for high thermal capacity and heat dissipation.
Innovative Brembo floating anti-rattle hardware design prevents heat related stress, eliminates noise, and extends component life.
Goodridge stainless steel lines
Mounting adapter bracket and hardware